Make horrid scars and gashes.

3.20.2006

Harvey Records/ The Comix "Harvey Singles" (HR-1001, HR-1002, HR-1003, HR-1004, 1972)

Amazingly only a few days after posting an ad for the 1972 Harvey Comics singles (here's a link to that ad, another ad, a label, a bag with a single in it, and an "enhanced CD" comp that the songs were re-released on in 1997), a supercool member of the Richie Rich Yahoo group has sent me 8 of the 10 tunes (the two Sad Sack songs have seen no re-release since the character is owned by Lorne-Harvey rather than Harvey Entertainment). Turns out that the singles were issued under the band name "The Comix", and they were all written by the songwriting team of (Harvey editor) Sid Jacobson & Jimmy Krondes, probably most famously responsible for penning "The End (At The End Of A Rainbow)" in the late '50's.

The songs themselves are both better and delightfully worse than I'd guessed they would be too; pretty much delicious cheapjack bubblegum in a variety of guises (kiddie style frat-rock, lite-psych, wuss-pop, etc) with off-the-top-of-our-heads lyrics sealing the sugarsweet deal ("Hiding from Spooky/ 'cause of the kooky/ booing of Spooky/ the Tuff Little Ghost/ If you are careless/ he'll boo you hairless/ he's never scareless/ the Tuff Little Ghost"), so I'm more than happy to pass along my good fortune. Now where are you at, Mr. Sad Sack?


Link Removed

15 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Totoally frickin' awesome. Thanks to jason and the donor from the Richie Rich Forum. Man that one bag with a comic AND the record would have been great to have found in a store wouldn't it have? Seeing these comic covers again brings back a whole flood of childhood memories. Every one of those comics were on my list. I had tons of these and other comics over my lifetime. Like most of the things from my youth that would now bring small fortunes on ebay my parents gave them away over the years to younger cousins, and they are long gone from my possession. I figured it up one time using the going prices on ebay, and I figure I could have made around $5000.00 on ebay if I still had all of those items. From comics, to baseball cards, to matchbox cars, to Fort Apache type sets, Johnny West and Chief Cherokee with boxes and horse for each, 4 GI Joes, etc, etc... the list goes on. But in the early 70's who knew? Ebay wasn't even a glimmer of a concept back then let alone the internet. And as a kid I had no idea that those toys and comics would one day be worth small fortunes. Dang it all anyways....lol.

3/20/2006 1:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neat-o!!! I'm going to go and have my pants Boo'ed off.


Dr.Terror

3/20/2006 5:22 PM

 
Blogger Chardman said...

I have Richie Rich issues.
Growing up sharing that name, coupled with living near a weird cloistered religious community (Finnish Apostolic Lutherans), whose youth could only read SOME Harvey comics (the non-demonic ones), I used to get called Richie Rich all the time.So I'm going to play this all the time as therapy.

3/20/2006 5:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do have the 45 of The Sad Sack Song which is on the flip side of Wendy. I wish I had a way to upload it...give me a few days and I'll see what I can do.

BTW...Here's a link to a page of my Richie and Casper comic and record bagged set still sealed.
Definitly one of the favorite things in my collection.

http://www.angelfire.com/ri/richie/rrvault.html

Mark

3/20/2006 10:01 PM

 
Blogger Dave said...

Ah the days of 15 and 20 cent comics. I read a lot of mine at the barber shop though. He had two boys a little older than me, and they would read their comics, and he'd bring them to the shop for the kids to read. Ah. Good times.

Where did those record/slash comic sets come from? I never saw anything like that at the store where we bought all of our comics.

3/20/2006 10:58 PM

 
Blogger PopCereal said...

Please, Lord, if I could just hear a wee bit of the Sad Sack and Nap Sack Song, I'd be forever grateful!!

3/21/2006 1:28 PM

 
Blogger Skinny Robbie said...

(gasp!)

Yet more impossibly cool stuff! These have been on my Wants List forever! Just brilliant!

3/30/2006 2:57 PM

 
Blogger loveharvey said...

I have HR-1006. Where can I find out how much it is valued at? I che ked overstreet but I didn't find anything there.

3/26/2008 4:43 PM

 
Blogger loveharvey said...

I have sad sack also

3/26/2008 4:59 PM

 
Anonymous Ooze By Omen said...

I just posted a picture of my 5 Harvey Vinyl 45s on the Yahoo gropup. It Includes 1001 to 1005. and the sad sack 45. Thanks for posting this!. If it wernt for this recession we are in, i wouldnt have researched this!
~Omen!

11/12/2010 5:32 PM

 
Blogger Apollo Zero Jukebox said...

Could you please post these again. I had some of them and would love to hear them again please.

4/07/2011 11:25 AM

 
Blogger Apollo Zero Jukebox said...

Sorry forgot to click to get a email if you answer this.

4/07/2011 11:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can some one Send me the Sad sack and the nap sack song Thank you

Got2staydrunk@yahoo.com

8/24/2011 1:33 PM

 
Blogger M. Pardys said...

There is also a 4 cd collection, i had, it was bought at hte Gallery in Downtown Philadelphia. with 4 cds it was very expensive. Does anybody have the track list of the 4 cd box set?
Martin Pardys

12/12/2021 2:25 PM

 
Anonymous Martin Pardys said...

There was also a 4 cd box stet from Harvey comics it was very expensive. It was bought at the Gallery Mall in Downtown Philadelphia.

12/12/2021 2:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home