Make horrid scars and gashes.

3.18.2006

Power Records "A Story Of Dracula, The Wolfman And Frankenstein" (BR-508, 1975)

Kind of harkening back to the 1940's Universal "Monster Rallies", this all original story from Power Records (also released as "House of Terror" on Parade Records) seemed totally cool to me when I was a kid, and still comes off as one of the label's best efforts. Story-wise it's a fairly deft interweaving of the classic big three monsters, and the Neal Adams/ Dick Giordano artwork (some other nice examples of Adams' record cover work can be found here, and here) was a great compliment. From the liners:

"Frankenstein's monster, Count Dracula, and the Werewolf all meet under unusual and bizarre circumstances in this masterpiece of terror and suspense. Power Records is proud to present this magnificently illustrated original tale. Heightening the intense dramatic portrayal are sound effects and music that will keep you on the edge of your chair. This package is designed to be read and played -- and treasured for years to come."

Apropos of all that, I took pictures of the interior pages and included them in a folder with the audio; admittedly they're not hi-res scans so you probably won't be printing them out to be framed or anything, but it'll at least give a sense of the original Power Records "book and record" experience.


Link Removed

UPDATE: The Parade Records edition ("House of Terror", which also comes bundled with an extra LP of sound effects that I'm forgetting the original name of) seems to have been very recently available as a closeout item! While most of the stores I checked are coming up as "out of stock", a simple google search will still turn up several retailers listing the title, so maybe you can still get lucky.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun-tastic!!! I've wanted to hear this for ages. The pics of the booklet are great.

Dr.Terror

3/18/2006 4:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for all of these!
- I haven't gotten to listen to this, latest, yet but this has already been such a huge treasure trove of cool stuff.
- I only ever owned a couple of halloween records (That Power record was one of them) but I always wanted them... Now I can hear so many and some of the story albums are quite entertaining. I listen to a lot of audio dramas and I had no idea that some of these albums are so much like old radio drama... Although often with outrageously overdone stereo effect.
- Just bags of fun!
Steve in SF

3/18/2006 5:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The book is missing the next to last page.
I found this out after printing a C.d. cover sized book I made up :(

It didn't sound like an important page anyway.

Dr.Terror

3/19/2006 3:06 PM

 
Blogger Dave said...

Thanks again for another good offering Jason. I have this one and one of the Batman Power records I found on ebay last year.

3/19/2006 9:58 PM

 
Blogger Jason said...

Damn! Sorry to've missed that page; I'll re-up a zip file with it in there over the next day or so.

3/20/2006 9:47 AM

 
Blogger Chardman said...

Man!
I had that one too!
How the hell many horror records did I one, anyway.
Guess I'll have to keep checking back in to find out.
Thanks Jason!

3/20/2006 5:58 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe this. I am writing tis from Wales...this is so bloody good. I have been looking at thi site (and listening) for ages - and I am going to pass this onto my friends who will also love this stuff! Thank you so much - in Welsh, 'Diolch yn fawr'

3/23/2006 3:36 PM

 
Blogger Dr.Terror said...

Anyone remember what the sound FX disc "House of Terror" came with?

Thanks,
Dr.Terror

3/24/2006 9:45 PM

 
Blogger Dave said...

Which one do you mean Dr.? There's so many things with that title on ebay not sure which one you mean.

3/25/2006 1:32 PM

 
Blogger Dr.Terror said...

It's the "Available as a closeout item" link in the post.

Dr.Terror

3/25/2006 4:39 PM

 
Blogger Dave said...

Ahh I see. I've looked all over for a copy and no dice.

3/25/2006 5:56 PM

 
Blogger Dave said...

I just found the House Of Terror Recording in Cassette version on ebay.

8/16/2006 12:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, sweet! I haven't listened to this since I was a kid. Man, must be almost 25 years now since I heard it. This is awesome, been looking for it forever too. Thanks.

~Hasenfang

11/01/2007 1:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey every one,
i have this record-comic.
it's in good condition and would like to sell it. if any one is interested email me

davelolson@hotmail.com

i can send pics and will accept offers.

thanks

12/17/2008 11:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have both HOUSE OF TERROR! and THE STORY OF DRACULA, THE WOLFMAN AND FRANKENSTEIN listed on ebay right now (October 1). My Seller name is muzicmonster. I will be listing some other Halloween records as well. I have a second copy of THE STORY OF DRACULA, THE WOLFMAN AND FRANKENSTEIN. The vinyl is not too great, the cover has a little wear, but the comic book is near mint. This is not listed on ebay but if anyone is interested you can email me at stevepeterson.2000@yahoo.com

10/01/2009 10:23 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Was this reissued in recent years on a budget-priced c.d. with alternate cover art,or is that a different recording?

10/31/2009 10:38 AM

 
Blogger Phoenix11 said...

If anyone...anyone out there at all has this, I would like to buy it. I had this record as a kid and LOVED it!!!!

12/04/2012 3:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home