Make horrid scars and gashes.

10.01.2007

Halloween Safety [Second Edition] (1985, Centron)

Okay Educational Short Film Fans! Direct from 1985 I present "Halloween Safety [Second Edition]", yanked straight from the Centron/ Coronet film vaults. Produced 8 years after the original, this was also filmed in my hometown of Lawrence, KS and stocked with local acting talent & scenery.

Really more a complete reworking than a "second edition", the difference in both era and production aesthetics is apparent within the first few seconds of the film's un-spooling: check out that killer montage of awesome dime-store masks flying through the air! Yeah! This is immediately followed up by some great & simple shots of kids walking around in cheapo store-bought Ben Cooper & Topstone getups, which felt just perfect. I mean, maybe I'm just speaking for myself here, but despite the fact that on the real Halloween night in 1985 I was busily enjoying something billed as "The Scum Of The Earth Costume Party", seeing those kids parade about in their outfits more than managed to resurface plenty of decade-dormant memories. Sadly none of my childhood regional Midwestern candy faves show up during the treat sequences though -- where the hell are the Cherry Mashes & Valomilks? Ah well, I guess you can't have everything.

So anyway, settle back from the vantage point of 22 years worth of hindsight and help yourself to loads of quality advice on pumpkin carving, fire hazards, costume functionality, mask visibility, street crossing etiquette, vandalism & mayhem, treat tampering (bear in mind that this was only a few years after the 1982 Tylenol murders), and more -- all told against a sub-Michael Jackson soundtrack by an animated Jack-O-Lantern narrator!

Part One:



Part Two:

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love it! this is friggin awesome man, thank you

10/01/2007 10:35 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So fun. This tickles me as much as having my insides scooped out. And, who is the jerk that gave that one girl ONE orange tic-tac? Talk about stingy ...Or WAS it a quaalude?

Thanks Jason!

10/02/2007 5:34 AM

 
Blogger BenT said...

those kids should be more wary of the creepy hippies that want to take their picture.

10/02/2007 2:19 PM

 
Blogger John AKA Reggaexx said...

I can't wait to give this one a look!!

10/02/2007 3:44 PM

 
Blogger TheMadBlonde said...

You're from LAWRENCE??? I lived in KC for 9 years & still have a bunch of friends who live in Lawrence. Small freakin' world.

10/03/2007 9:15 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Great to see you back in action, Jason - finding ScarStuff.com last year made Halloween extra rockin'.

10/05/2007 2:17 PM

 
Blogger Andre Vospette said...

The lack of Jason Willis content in this film get a "thumbs down" from this reviewer.

Why did they need to remake a classic?

10/10/2007 7:54 AM

 
Blogger dsfdsf said...

So awesome, thanks for posting that video.
I'm really into the way that those old halloween masks creep me the fuck out.
For some reason they are way scarier than real makeup or anything or a demented acid-trip level.
Awesome.

10/13/2007 12:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

have a fun and a safe halloweeeeeen

10/22/2007 2:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Casper-Drag Queen costume.

10/24/2007 7:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Owl, How many scoops does it take to get to the center of a pumpkin?

10/24/2007 8:02 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of how much I love Halloween. Growing up in the late 70's early 80's was pretty sweet. I collected Halloween records for years! "Sounds to make you Shiver", "Tales of Terror", "The Haunted House", "The Graveyard" and of course my favorite, the read along record of "The Haunted Mansion" with Ron Howard as the boyfriend who goes into the mansion with his girlfriend. I collect the old paper Halloween (Beistle co.) decorations from the 70's. Where can I get one of those old 70's EERIE t-shirts? that one you have posted is wicked ass! if you have any info send to jdguske@gmail.com Thanks...

7/23/2011 9:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home